Saturday 10 September 2011

Gotta love photoshop

Today was our last day here at the Huntsman Marine Science Center, and it’s a bit disappointing to know that we have to leave early tomorrow morning and then be expected to go to school the next day. I mean really, where is our break? People enjoy their weekends at home but I get to enjoy it by dissecting a fish and giving a presentation about Dolphins on a Saturday, then sit in a car for another 11 hours while we drive back home on Sunday, have 2 or 3 hours to myself, go to bed, and THEN go to school for a full week. Well, to be fair, this week was awesome and I feel bad for the people who didn’t go.
Anyway, enough of my ranting. The morning started off rather fishy as we got our own dead fish to cut open. We each got different fish which we had to identify (Mine was a Silver Hake, I believe). After answering our text book questions about the exterior of the fish, we were given further questions that involved performing highly dangerous surgery on the fish. It’s a good thing they were already dead, because that brings it from highly dangerous surgery to really messy dissection. Personally, I destroyed the liver of the fish I was working on when I was cutting it open from the bottom, but I managed to get the stomach out just fine. Turns out, I found another, smaller fish in the stomach which, when compared with the sharp teeth it had, told me it was a carnivore. Yes, it smelled really nasty.
When that was over and done with, we had had a very nice pizza lunch and proceeded to present our projects a little bit later. For the most part, the presentations were done really well. We had 4 presentations done before dinner, and the last 3 done after dinner. I was the last one to go, and I’m pretty sure people enjoyed my photo of a dolphin next to a cow. Who would have thought they could co-exist like that?
Right now, we’re in the process of packing our bags for tomorrow morning. I just hope that the drive doesn’t take 11 hours again.

No comments:

Post a Comment